Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Own Data

So I'm not finding much hard data either for or against flipping the composition class, so I'll look for some of my own.

As it happens, I've been asking my students to assess my classes ever since I've been teaching here in West Palm Beach, so I've put some of this data together, and it seems to add up to something. Consider the following chart:


I've asked my students to rank from 1 to 5, with 1 being the worst, the various instructional strategies that I've used in class. Google Docs/Drive consistently receives the highest ranking (4.48 overall), but the flipped class comes in a very respectable third position (3.95), just edged by the class wiki (3.99). This suggests to me that most of my students value the flipped classroom and believe that it has helped them become better writers. To say it another way, the flipped class receives 4 out of 5 stars. That's pretty good. I'll have to explore the data some more to see what else I can learn.

I just updated my data with the 2013 Winter Quarter, which yields the following results:
As you can see, the overall ratings for most of the items have gone up. The flipped class is now rated at 4.05, up from 3.95. I need to examine the ratings by term to see if this is a general trend. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment