Thursday, October 20, 2022

Fall 2022 Post 11: Shouting

We are nearing the end of the term where I find it appropriate to talk about cleaning up your academic essays to make them more readable, more acceptable to an academic audience. As is often the case in this blog, I'm prompted by a post from Josh Bernoff entitled "Cheer down: How to create drama in your prose without shouting," in which Bernoff discusses the bad writing habit of shouting, or shouting, DAMN IT!!!!

I just shouted by using italics, bold, underlining, colored font, background highlighting, all caps, profanity, and exclamation points in a post that should be more academically toned. As Bernoff notes in his post, this kind of shouting is really poor form, especially in academic writing, and is a sure sign of a novice writer. This kind of shouting undermines your credibility as a writer, which is the worst thing that can happen to an academic writer. If your readers lose faith in you — especially your teachers — then your relationship with your readers and your grades will suffer. Bad news.

Shouting in writing is not always a sign of poor form. Advertisers shout all the time to get your attention quickly and focus it on some product or service that someone wants you to buy. As it happens, sex and money are the top two attention getters, so a company such as Burger King will use sex to focus your attention on their burgers. The exact relationship between eating Burger King hamburgers and hot sex is never quite explained, but apparently gullible men will buy their burgers anyway and hope.

But this is not the kind of writing that we do in college, and most of you will never write ads for a company. Unfortunately, almost all of you text, and people who text are very fond of shouting — mostly through unusual grammar, punctuation, and spelling — LOL!!!

All of you know what LOL means because you've seen it in your own texts or the texts you read. You use it daily. That's fine in your text messages to your besties and beasties, but it is just awful in ur academic writing. See? And did I mean your or you're. I'm not quite sure, and neither are you. Bad form.

In his post, Bernoff is not writing to an academic audience, so he does not mention the number one form of shouting in academic essays: non-standard grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Most students regularly turn in essays with grammar, punctuation, and spelling that shouts to the teacher: "Hey! I'm a novice writer who can't do any better." When you submit an essay with unusual grammar, punctuation, and spelling, then you are telling your teacher one of two things:

  1. You're incompetent. You can't spell, and you don't even know that you can't spel. See?
  2. You don't care. You know that you can't spel, but you don't care enough to run spell check to correct the errors.

This is similar to when I used to schedule in-person conferences to discuss my students' work with them. If a student showed up to my office poorly or barely dressed and smelling like last night's party, then I assumed that either they didn't know any better or they didn't care. Neither message builds trust between that student and me, nor does it encourage me to work with them and spend any more time with them than is absolutely necessary. This almost never works in the student's favor.

So what's wrong with shouting? Just as with someone shouting at you on the sidewalk, shouting in your essays draws the reader's attention away from what you are saying to how you are saying it. This almost never works for you in an academic essay. So don't do it. Rather, keep your reader's attention focused on what you are trying to say rather than on how you are saying it.

6 comments:

  1. I hate all cap emails from a co-worker. I get an attitude and make them wait before I respond to them. and I hate the text language I'm too old to understand, to me its a bunch of letters that make no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of us have a strong response to shouting in any document that we are trying to read. Shouting is truly offensive, and that explains why teachers are so offended when students submit sloppily composed documents for a grade.

      Delete
  2. I don't like shouting -- even through text! Outside of exclamation marks, which are a completely different feeling than all-capitalized letters. I remember having conversations with my spouse, back when we first met, about it! It just feels so alarming. There are plenty of acronyms I use, but I think I've even shy away from those as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shouting through any form of communication is really a big no for me. I read way too much into every situation and take offense to it when someone feels the need to use all capitalized letters to make a point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shouting is wrong in an essay. The essay needs to be detailed, clear and concise, without shouting or throwing unnecessary punctuation.
      Also, Professor when you state that "All of you know what LOL means because you've seen it in your own texts or the texts you read. You use it daily. That's fine in your text messages to your besties and beasties, but it is just awful in ur academic writing. See? And did I mean your or you're. I'm not quite sure, and neither are you. Bad form." I've seen classmates back in my middle schools days turn in essays' that had text written dialogue to the teachers. (edited)

      Delete