Wednesday, January 16, 2019

1101 Post 1: My Online Image

So I googled my name, and got seven pages of links. Seven didn't seem like much, but then, I googled "Donald Trump", and he had only 12 pages. So does this mean that I'm a little more than half as famous as the President? Probably not, but it did make me feel a bit better.

So what's my image on the Web? First, it's rather accurate, I think. I show up mostly as an educator and a family man. I think that I'm more a family man than educator, but my educational image is sharper and more pervasive on the Web than is my family image. And by image, I don't mean merely pictures. Rather, I mean the impression of myself that I have left on the Web.

I can see the schools where I have worked and currently work. I can see my participation in online educational efforts and MOOCs (massive open online courses). My own writings on my blog and in scholarly articles shows up as do mentions in the writings of other scholars. For instance, Helen deWaard mentions some of my writing in her post "Agency -- Give or Take?" That was nice of her.

And that's the text stuff. If you click on the Images tab in Google search, then you can find lots of pix about me, my teaching and writing, and my family. Almost all of it accurate. All in all, I have to say that I'm satisfied with how I appear on the open Web. I think I like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment