Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Fall 2023 Post 01: Introduction to Keith Hamon

I'm writing with you this term, so here's an introduction to me.

I've worked in education all of my professional life. I have a doctorate from the University of Miami in composition and rhetoric, and I expected to teach college English forever. However, life has a way of shifting. My first job in 1982 at a branch campus of the University of Houston transitioned me into educational technology. I set up an academic support center and computerized it. This was back in the days before you could even get a degree in computer science, so lots of different people in different academic departments were doing computers. I installed the computers in The Communication Center that I directed and networked them to the campus network. The World Wide Web did not exist then, so we used FTP and IRC to communicate with other users, but mostly, we used word processing to write papers. And yes, they were papers. We still printed everything to give to a teacher. As you may have noticed, I don't do that anymore. In my classes, we write online documents, not papers.

I left the University of Houston for Mercer University here in Macon to set up, computerize, and network another academic support center. In 1989, I moved across town to Wesleyan College to become their Director of Information Technology. In 1995, I went to Monroe County (GA) Public Schools to build a county-wide network and put all their teachers, staff, and students on the Web. In short, I had completely shifted from teaching English to full-time educational technology, which is why I use so much technology in all my classes now.

Though technology was my day job (I liked it and it paid more), I still really loved teaching English, so I always taught adjunct classes—mostly at Georgia College and State University. In 2011, I retired from the State of Georgia and took a full-time teaching job at a college in Florida. I didn't like the school much, so I won't mention its name, but I started looking for another position within six months, and in 2015,  Middle Georgia State University offered me a position teaching English composition and literature. I took the job, moved back into my Macon home, and here I am working with you.

In Summer 2022, I retired again. After all, I'm 72 years old, and I want to do some other things in life besides work full time. I've started playing pickleball, for instance. Still, I'm teaching part-time, and ours is the only class I'm teaching this term. I look forward to it.

That sums up my professional life, but I can also give you a few personal facts: I'm married to a beautiful Bahamian woman — we celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary this August 30 — and we have two sons, both grown and gone. Almost seven years ago, our youngest son and his then-wife gave us our first and only grandchild, a thoroughly lovable girl named Madeline, or Maddie, as most of the family is calling her. I am head-over-heels in love with her, and if you stand in one place long enough, then I will bombard you with a thousand pictures. She's worth it. This past Christmas, Maddie and I were up early to have breakfast together.

This is my introduction to the class. It's an example of the kind of introduction I want you to write for the class. Help us connect to you as a real person. And yes, you can add a picture.

If you want to leave a comment to my post, make sure you are logged into your Google account so that I can identify you. Anonymous comments are bad form — too much like trolling. Let's treat each other with kindness and respect.

22 comments:

  1. This is an amazing blog, giving us a view into your life and what you have to go through as a student yourself and how you became a teacher yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like the "amazing." But this is the key to writing: bring something amazing to the reader, something of value. They'll find the time to read you. And if I'm going to force you to read me, then shouldn't I work a bit harder to provide something worth reading? There's your first lesson in writing: always work harder than your reader.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mr. Hamon, thank you for giving us a summary of your life. I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind that I am modelling the kind of writing I expect from you. Amaze me.

      Delete
  3. Hello Professor, I was about to apply to the University of Miami, but my family decided to move to Georgia instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UM is a great school, and I met some wonderful scholars and writers there. Also, my second son was born there. Good memories.

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you Professor Hamon. Thank you for sharing a piece of your life and career with us. What a journey you had, I'm sure you have left great impacts on those that had the privilege to know you. I'm looking forward to learn helpful technology skills and improve my English skills with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your confidence that I had an impact on my students. I hope so, and some of them have said so. I think you will leave this class with more technology and writing knowledge than you have now. That will be my impact and my grade.

      Delete
  5. Hello Mr. Hamon, Thank you for sharing about yourself to us. Looking forward to your class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here. Now, tell us about yourself in your blog.

      Delete
  6. Hello Mr. Hammon, this was a very interesting blog thanking you for sharing with us. I'm sure you had a very long journey to get where you are I'm looking forward to all the English skills you've learned back when you were a student yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, I have learned much over the 53 years since I started college. I guess I learned things in high school, but I don't remember much of that. I promise to bring what I know to class. You do that, too.

      Delete
  7. It definitely sounds like it has been a journey to get here. I am excited to get started after many years out of school and I appreciate the effort you’ve put into this class already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A return student! Wonderful! I have always thought that returning adults make the best students. They understand what they are giving up to get an education. It makes them work harder.

      Delete
  8. Hello Mr. Hamon, this was an interesting blog. I too am in technology and have been since 1990. My favorite word processing application was Lotus-1-2-3. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be the only other person here who used this spreadsheet back in 1984 when I was teaching staff and students at the Univ of Houston-Victoria how to use computers. It was an exciting time. The new AI stuff coming out now has made me just as excited. I think we are about to change the world again.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you've had a successful and enjoyable career at that. Your family sounds wonderful and I'm glad you're taking time for yourself these days. Looking forward to the class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking time, but this new AI stuff has me excited. I'm glad that a class came along for me to teach it so that I could learn it. Think on that. I always learn more in class than my students do, and I work hard to ensure that my students learn a lot.

      Delete
  10. This was a lovely read, thank you for sharing your life journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i admire that you are as close as you are with your grand daughter my grandpa was my best friend too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing with us this was nice to read

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was nice getting to know you through this post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete